Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Many hats

In the next few weeks, I'm going to be speaking to several groups about books, reading, and writing. The topics range from non-fiction books and non-fiction writing to books for middle grade and teens (to a group of teens) to elementary librarians and fiction writers.

As I prepare for each of these events, I'm feeling somewhat schizophrenic. My tastes tend to run along the middle grade/young adult line -- fantasy, historical fiction, humor. So when I'm working on speaking events for other topics, I feel as if I'm doing homework. And switching from topic to topic makes it feel just like high school. To be honest, when I'm finished, I feel more of a sense of accomplishment than I did in high school, and I think that's what keeps me agreeing to do more events out of my "comfort zone."

I'm continuing to read for the New Voices committee. It's amazing the variety of books that are being published by new writers. Many of them are really very interesting. I am falling behind on reading though. And my own writing has been suffering because of this. My spare time has been taken up with reading other's work. Not that that's a bad thing.

On a side note, wishing all the best to the readers and writers in the South who are recovering from the devastion of the recent tornadoes. And to the mid-westerners who are dealing with the flooding.

Keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment