Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Curse You, UPS Man!

As my journey into being on an awards committee continues, I'm begining to hate the UPS man. He never just drives right on by. With the submissions for the awards committee, the review copies sent from my editor at READING TODAY, and my daughter's college book orders, he stops every time. Truthfully, I don't think he's much liking me either.

One of my neighbors even asked if I'd started a home business given the frequency of deliveries. (Don't you just love neighbors who know more about your personal life than your own children? I wanted so badly to say, "Uh, no, just building something in my garage. By the way, your home insurance is paid up, isn't it?")

In the meantime, some of my favorite authors have books coming out this season (and next) and those books are calling my name as well. I've decided to alternate. Read an award submission. Read a favorite author. It's the best compromise I can come up with.

I have read a good book recently. It's called HOURGLASS by Myra McIntire. Due out in May or June (depending on what sources you check). It's listed as a "time-slip" romance. It was quite well-written, and it does hold one's attention. This one will appeal to those who love SHIVER by Stephanie Stiefvater or like CHIME by Franny Billingsley. Not only does it have a romance (mostly chemistry that is literally and figuratively, electric), but it also has special powers (think X-Men), mystery, and suspense. And it has a great fast pace that keeps the reader turning pages. The really nice part is that McIntire manages to keep it real with the characters without putting anything in the text that's going to keep it off the school library shelves or the hands of younger readers of ages 12-14.

I think this one's going to catch the teen audience's attention.

What's next? Well, it arrived today in the store: the ARC of THE POWER OF SIX. Sequel to I AM NUMBER FOUR. I see a sleepless night ahead.

Keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment