Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Getting Ahead of Myself

Sometimes it's difficult to keep time straight in the book buisiness. Often when I'm working on the shelves of new books, I have to stop and check the publication date on the computer. Why? Because the Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) arrived at the store 5-7 months prior to the publication date. That means I've seen it on our basement ARC shelves or my personal pile at home, may have read it, and have already discussed it with our sales rep. By the time it hits the actual shelf, it seems like it's an old book -- and I hear myself saying, "Why is this book on the NEW shelf still?"

I know this is going to be the case for the book I just finished. It's been on my personal pile since January and doesn't arrive until August.  THIS DARK ENDEAVOR: THE APPRENTICESHIP OF VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN by Kenneth Oppel is excellent. Basically, it's the prequel to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but understanding the new book does not require having read the original. Oppel explores the possible events that led Frankenstein to take the horrific path he chooses as an adult. We get a glimpse of how his love for Elizabeth started and a hint of the monster's origianal identity.

I also finished THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson in electronic version. This was not my cup of tea. But this is not to say it wasn't a good book. I certainly found the writing to be superb. It's just that the audience is clearly teenage girls -- which I am definitely not. That said, it's clear the book deserved all the accolades it has received and all the buzz it garnered about possible awards.

Keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment